June '14 El Dorado County Trip - Long Talks and Medium Sips

Here I find myself realizing that I completely forgot to log this trip. I hadn't expected to do any tasting on this trip, so I didn't bring my trusty notebook. So I reverted to my old technique of writing notes on the tasting sheets. Keeping those loose sheets out of the recycling bin can be tricky. Apparently that's where they ended up this time, because I didn't even realize that I had not yet written this entry until seven months later. So I'll do my best to recall the wines that I tried. Thankfully, my memory of the experience is pretty clear.
My wife and I were up in the area for a family camping trip, and given that my wife had a little more work to accomplish from her folks' house, I decided to venture out to a few Apple Hill wineries to occupy myself. It was the middle of the week, and a hot day, so I was the only taster at both places - meaning that I had a good opportunity to chat up the folks working the tasting rooms.

Fenton Herriott Vineyards ($0 tasting, wines $15-$25)
'13 Chardonnay, '12 Gewürztraminer, NV Janeway Lot 2 (Chardonnay/Gewürztraminer), '10 Zinfandel, '11 Barbera, '11 Syrah, '10 White "Port", '11 Ruby Syrah "Port"
The Fenton Herriott estate is a simple and friendly spot. You enter the gate, pass by a barn, and drive up a short hill to the tasting room. Beyond the room is a picnic area and the vineyard itself. Inside is a plainly decorated room with a good amount of space. Debbie, the tasting room manager, was dealing with paperwork when I arrived. She put that aside, and gave me the royal treatment. Good god, she was friendly. We yakked for a long time while she poured several wines. One should not assume that Debbie is always friendly though. Toward the end of my tasting some guys trying to sell printing supplies came in, much to Debbie's irritation. She sent them packing with efficiency. The tasting list is pretty long, and she invited me to taste whatever I wanted to. I was aiming to taste a little bit less, but she encouraged me to try more.

To me, Fenton Herriott represents the typical Sierra Foothills winery. The wines are definitely inexpensive, there is a wide variety of wines being made - many not ideal to the region, and the wines are not at all complex - some are pretty good, some are not. The Gewürztraminer was too sticky, and the white blend didn't come together well. The reds were basic, none stood out as having interesting characteristics. I did enjoy the Chardonnay. It too was simple, but had a good calm flavor to it.
Experience: B / Wines: C

Chateau Davell Boutique Winery ($5 tasting)
'13 "Chloe" Chardonnay, '11 "Marguerite" Red Rhone Blend, '12 "Zander" Zinfandel, '12 "Augustus" Super Tuscan, '11 Cabernet Sauvignon
Apparently, I've been drinking wine long enough to be typecast. Debbie at Fenton Herriott told me "Oh you should go to Chateau Davell, it's the sort of place that you'd love." I'd never heard about Chateau Davell before, but I was open to recommendations. The tasting room is located within the same grouping as Crystal Basin and Bumgarner, which I visited a few years back. It's a tiny, homey-looking building, with some kids toys and space for running around out front. The interior is cozy and rustic. Upon entering, the winemaker, Eric, came out of the back. On quiet days like the day I visited he paints in the back. All of the label art is painted by him, and most of it is portraiture of his family.
Eric was a super neat dude to chat with. He was calm and confident in his work. He was accommodating, but didn't feel the need to fill in the empty spaces of the conversation. In addition to the vineyard, his family has an organic farm where they grow produce to sell to local markets. He and his wife were compelled to start growing organic because of their children. All of the wine is grown organically and some is unfiltered (perhaps this is what Debbie had in mind when she directed me here).
The wine was very much like Eric - not overstated, individual, and enjoyable. I really liked the Chardonnay. It was playful and classy. The reds were nice, but lacking my notes, I can't recall which ones really stood out. I have a feeling that I'll be back at Chateau Davell, next time around I'll be sure to bring my notepad.
Experience: B / Wines: B

For a quick visit, this trip made an impression on me. There really is something special about wine tasting in the Sierra Foothills. Sure the wine can be hit-and-miss, but the people can't be beat. They are friendly, helpful, and proud. I realize that I can get caught up in the luxurious estates with the palatial grounds, but what I really enjoy is the good conversation. And that's what this area is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment